Monday, October 13, 2008

General Education, why it SUCKS.

If there was one thing that I could do to forever change the way that my college operates, let alone all colleges, it would be doing away with stupid Gen Ed courses. Now, I'm not saying that I think learning is stupid or that it's not important to have general knowledge about the world, it's just the way in which you do in at college doesn't help you with your life nor does it make you a more knowledgeable person. Let's sum it up in three.

1. No New Material
One of the biggest reasons that these classes are so unimportant is because of the fact that ninety percent of the time you are being taught things that you more than likely already know. I've read the book Frankenstein once in seventh grade, senior year of high school, and then a third time my freshman year of college. Every time we read it we always look at it from the same aspect, that of Frankenstein abandoning his creation thus making the creature evil, or did the creature choose to be evil? It's always the same dumb conversations with the same stupid ending to them and it's a waste of time.

2.Waste of Time
That brings me to my second point, these classes are a waste of time. Since I already know all of the basic math that I'm going to need to use to be able to function properly in the real world, all of the math that they would be able to teach me is just useless and stupid. When on earth am I going to have to figure out this certain equation without knowing what this variable is? Never, that's why these courses are a complete and utter waste of time.

3.Distract From Important Classes
The greatest reason why I feel these classes are not only unneeded but in many ways harmful to your education is because they take time away from the courses that you are taking so you can get your study completed. I didn't go to college to be a science math or business major, I am going to become a composer. Why should I have to take two writing and rhetoric classes that are making me write more research papers that I've already done in the past. Having to take over six courses in a single semester with only two of those being major courses is still a hard thing to have to do because every other class that isn't a major and isn't even an English class for that matter of fact requires that you do some form of major project or paper, which is a bull crap waste of time.

Gen Ed courses are the worst thing ever invented in the educational history of man.

No comments: